Monday 6 May 2013

The Importance of Friendship

Hello beautiful people :)
I hope you are all having a fantastic Monday and had a great weekend!
Considering the events that I experienced on the weekend, I want to do a small post about friendship.
I've gotten the comment that I've gone through a lot of friends and I always seem to have friend drama.
I hate hearing that because it's something that I try to avoid and yet it still finds me.
Throughout the end of elementary school and all through high school, I thought I had a solid group of girls that I could rely on...but I was wrong. 
Fight after fight, I realized that these girls didn't care about me.

I have so many walls up because I'm tired of losing friends.
It makes me sound like a loser, but it's true :(
When people say that first year University puts your friendships to the test, they really do mean it.
Being away from each other for a year, you learn to see who is still there for you regardless of being so far away.
Stuff happens and naturally you grow apart from some of your friends.
I have unfortunately grown apart from some really close friends, but being at school as definitely brought me closer to some of my other friends. 

I just find it crazy that you can think that you're best friends with a person and all it takes is a month of being away from each other and it's like you are strangers. 
Me and a friend were inseparable for the second half of high school, you could not see one of us without seeing the other.
We were literally attached at the hips.
She was one of the girls where I thought I would be friends with forever.
I was mistaken.

Over the past year, I've noticed that a lot of my friends aren't people that are going to be there for me whenever I need them.
They may seem like they are, but when put in the situation they don't.
So recently, I've received amazing advice and I've realized why bother being friends with people who don't make you happy?
Why be friends with people who you can't be yourself around?
With this being brought to my attention, I realized that I don't need her in my life if I'm not important to her.

Actually going through with this was questionable
But with the encounter I had with her on the weekend, I knew it was for the best.
It felt like I was meeting her for the first time and she had no idea who I was.
Not only did it shock me, but it hurt and I felt invisible. 
It's not an enjoyable feeling and it's definitely not something that someone who was your best friend should make you feel.

It's important to surround yourself with friends that accept you for your flaws, make you happy and will put a smile on your face when you are having a bad day.
Be with people who won't judge you or try to change you.
Finding true friends may not be the easiest, but when you find them they won't leave you.
Your friendships may be put to the test, but if they pass with flying colours then you know they are awesome.
Those will be the friends that will be your bridesmaids and maid of honour at your wedding,
the godmothers of your children and the ones that you'll be reminiscing about your past whilst your children are off playing in another room.

Everyone deserves to be happy!
Don't let your 'friends' degrade you or make you believe that you are not awesome.
Because you are :)
Hugs and Butterfly Kisses 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment